The microFollowFocus Black Professional Series is a new generation of follow focus units that lead the way in price/performance. The Black Professional Series line incorporates new designs and technologies to deliver an incredibly solid, accurate, highly repeatable follow focus ideal for any level of production.
The microFollowFocus Black™ can be used with still lenses (with proper gearing such as our microLensGears) and cinema lenses.
Performance is the most critical aspect of any follow focus unit. At the heart of the microFollowFocus Black is a Redrock custom designed and manufactured gearbox that produces exceptionally smooth, backlash-free focus pulls. Unique adjustments for backlash and drag allow you to dial in exactly the feel and performance you want.
The microFollowFocus Black incorporates the best of the award-winning innovations from the microFollowFocus v2, including the original Redrock 3D marking disk, convenient quick release clamp, and large precision-machined focus wheel. Building on this solid foundation, the microFollowFocus Black Professional Series adds a refined slim design, adjustable hard stops, reinforced moveable focus indicator, flippable gearbox, all-metal machined accessory port, and a unique illuminated marking disk (when used with optional Flares).
The microFollowFocus Black comes in two configurations: A single-sided version and a double-sided (studio) version. The only follow focus that allows you to add a second wheel on the opposite side which speeds up repositioning. You can switch between single or double-sided setups, or add the second wheel option at any time.
Features and Benefits
- Redrock-designed custom gears and gearbox for exceptional and play-free performance
- Integrated hard stops have easy begin/end setups for fast repeatable racking between two points, and make focusing lenses that have no hard stops (such as Canon EOS lenses) much easier.
- 3D marking disk to view your focus marks from many angles
- Moveable reinforced focus indicator – conveniently pull focus from any place on the camera while maintaining view of focus indicator and focus wheel
- Illuminated marking disk with optional Flares for working at night or under dim lighting, illuminates marking disk without distracting external lighting (Flares not included and are an optional accessory - see related items)
- Quick release clamp – pops on and off the rails for quick repositioning or setup without having to move other rail-mounted gear.
- Adjustable backlash – dial in your exact performance needs
- All-aluminum precision machined construction, inside and out
- Optional second side focus wheel – only follow focus that allows you to add/remove as needed
- Comes standard with 0.8 film pitch drive gear, with options for Fujinon and Canon drive gears.
- Industry-standard, all-metal machined accessory port for adding focus whip or speed crank as needed
- Kung Fu rubberized handgrip eliminates hand slips
- Flippable gearbox that positions the drive gear front or rear for support even the shortest of lenses
- Easy-to-use hard stops for setting focus points or the focus end-points of lenses without hard stops, such as Canon and Nikon autofocus lenses.
- Moveable focus indicator – conveniently pull focus from any place on the camera while maintaining view of focus indicator
- Redesigned extra rugged focus indicator for durability and confidence
- Made in America, lifetime warranty means durability and confidence
What is a follow focus and why do I need one?
A follow focus allows you to control your focus without physically touching the lens. By removing your hand from making direct contact with the lens, your focus will be smoother and more consistent. You also remove camera shake and image shift by not touching the lens every time focus needs to be adjusted. With the included marking disc, you now can have precise and repeatable focus for a sharp image every take.
What’s the difference between the microFollowFocus and microFollowFocus | blue? ?
For a comprehensive comparison chart, click here.
What are the hardstops on the microFollowFocus | blue used for?
The adjustable hardstops on the microFollowFocus | blue are used to create one or two physical stopping points while pulling focus, making racking from one subjects to another easier than ever. The hardstops can be set to any point in your focus pull and can be locked there to prevent turning the focus wheel past that point. While using Canon L-Series and other lenses that have infinity spinning focus rings, the hard stops can be used to set minimum and maximum focus to assure the marks on your marking disc stay accurate.
How can I mark my microFollowFocus | blue’s marking disc?
The replaceable marking disc can be marked to achieve repeatable focus with the included grease pencil or any standard whiteboard marker. To clean, apply a light amount of lens cleaner solution to a cloth and wipe the disk clean.
How does the illuminated marking disk work and what do I need to get it to glow?
The illuminating marking disc comes standard with the microFollowFocus | blue. To get the disc to glow, insert one of the disposable flares sold in 15 packs .
What kind of drive gear is included?
An industry standard 0.8 film pitch drive gear is included with every microFollowFocus. Optional drive gears for Fujinon and Canon Broadcast Lenses are available as well. Please note, the Canon .05 drive gear is NOT designed for Canon L-Series and other Canon still photography lenses, for those, please see the microLensGear page.
Does it work with still and cinema lenses?
Yes - the microFollowFocus | blue delivers great performance on both still lenses (with the proper gearing, such as with our microLensGears) and cinema lenses.
Can I add a second-side for the microFollowFocus | blue?
Yes, the microFollowFocus | blue is compatible with the microFollowFocus Blue Extension
How does the microFollowFocus attach to my lens?
The microFollowFocus attaches to your camera’s 15mm rail system, it then slides in to make contact with your lens. The microFollowFocus comes standard with a .8 cinema pitched drive gear, this industry standard drive gear will attach directly to cinema styled lenses such as Zeiss CP.2s, Canon’s EF Cinema Lenses, and Arri UltraPrimes. For still photography lenses such as the Canon L-Series and Nikon F Mount, microLensGears are available in a wide range of sizes to fit nearly every lens on the market.
Can I mount the drive gear forwards or backwards?
Yes, the direction of the drive gear can be switched to accommodate shorter lenses or other situations where changing the side of the gearbox that the drive gear is on is helpful.
Can I use the microFollowFocus | blue on 19mm Rails?
Yes, the microFollowFocus 19mm Bundle comes standard with a 19mm quick release adapter for the microFollowFocus | blue. The microFollowFocus 19mm adapter clamp can also be purchased standalone through the Redrock Micro Store at any time.
This section is currently being updated